Monday, March 10, 2008

the madness

well, it is that time of year again. In fact, it is the greatest time of year: MARCH MADNESS

On Monday, March 17, everyone will have a printed bracket in hand ready to write in exactly how they believe the tourney will unfold. What makes this time of year great is the variety of people who get swept up in the madness. In the office where I work, I make everyone fill out a bracket even though many of them do not have a clue about any of the teams. Many of the ladies pick according to the team's colors or even the mascots!

After 7 years of having over 25 staff members fill out a bracket, only 2 times has a "basketball fan" had the most correct picks and won the bracket contest! It is indeed maddening. The fact that the winner receives a basketball bobblehead trophy I guess is motivation enough!!

Each year I invite over 100 people to be in an online bracket pool, which proves to be filled with relentless banter for 3 weeks. What takes place during this time is the most edifying trash talk of the year. People are ruthless with one another, yet everyone keeps coming back for more...well, almost everyone...

This is the greatest time of year, not because it is all about basketball, but because of what surrounds the experience. Honestly, the 3 weeks of March Madness is the best camaraderie we have in the office all year long! Likewise, online we find ourselves exchanging pointed remarks with people we don't interact much with the rest of the year. I have people over to my house for madness parties where we have the opportunity to yell at the tv, yell at each other, and cheer for teams we don't even like just because we picked them in our bracket!

All in all, it keeps me humble. I mean, honestly, who can participate in a sports bracket pool, lose to their mom and continue on in life with the same kind of posture!

Don't miss out. Join in this year.....that is, unless you are intimidated by your mom...

2 comments:

Karl said...

Wow, the games haven't even started yet and the messages from the online pool are blowing up my inbox. This is the first time that I've had them forwarded to it. Before I just read the ones I wanted to from the message board. I might have to go back to that before it's all over.

Anonymous said...

Good post.